Thursday, July 23, 2009

Today is Thursday. It wasn't a particularly difficult day at work, I did screening in the morning and in the afternoon I had some home visits with clients. Fairly simple visits, and no major drama (which, working in child welfare, drama happens quickly!) anyway, the day was hot, there was a fair amount of driving, one corner of the county to the other. By the time I was driving to pick up Hannah and Jake from the boys and girls club I was really ready to call it a day. Driving home I was trying to figure out if I could get away with fish sticks and tater tots for dinner. There is nutrition there right?

I had a text from my daughter Makiah (13) asking me to stop for milk. Grrr. . . one more stop on a 99 degree day, one more trip in and out of the store with two kids in tow. . .I was not looking forward to getting home and cooking. In fact, I wanted to come home and do nothing. As a single mama of four kiddos though, that just isn't reality.

Imagine my surprise to walk into a cool home (they remembered to shut the windows and turn on the ac!) and the home was immaculate. Floors vaccuumed, counters clean and. . . AND . . .AAANNNDDDD

Dinner on the table! The table was set, ice water was in a pitcher. Kiah had made a salad with garden veggies, lemon chicken and bread and butter. Simple and good! It was SO nice to come home to! Like a mini vacation!

Since Makiah and Katie (15) are home for the summer with no responsibilities, I had asked them to take turns cooking one night a week. So far, its been uhm . . . interesting. I realize that I haven't spent a ton of time teaching my kiddos to cook. Katie did rollups one night, with a fruit salad. Idea was good but they were warm from being out and a lil uhm. . . ya. Kiah one night did a can of beans in a tortilla. No rice, veggies, protein . . . just beans and tortillas.

Clearly tonight, we have improved. I am very happy! I ate dinner, played in the garden a little bit, let the bunnies run around and play, now I am blogging and just about ready to roll into bed and do a bit more reading.

Which, I am reading a book about two sisters who moved to Alaska in the 30's. I have always dreamed about moving to Alaska, I love the rugged sustainability of the region. Growing up in Oregon I have always heard a ton of stories about Alaska. I wanna go!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment