Sunday, August 29, 2010

Thinking . . . . pondering. . . So, I just read a blog entry about a man who went to burningman . . . his truck was dinged and dented when a part broke. Burningman said he could file a claim and fix it but he realized that after he came home, everytime he looked at the ding in the side of the truck it was with nostalgia. He kept the dent . . . thought about painting a kiss. . . that is beautiful.

When I was in my first year of college I took a class on religion. My favorite story was that of a Buddhist woman who went to the temple to burn incense . . . she asked for blessings from the Buddha and began being blessed greatly. As her blessings increased she began to get selfish, she wanted the blessings for herself only. Next time she went she cupped the incense to go straight to her and the Buddha statue only. She burned and singed the Buddha's face. It was an amazing story.

The class opened my eyes to Buddhism and I began collecting Buddhas here and there. My first one I bought was a sitting Buddha, Lotus style. As soon as I got it home I dropped it . . . breaking his nose off. I delighted in this because it is my reminder to share the blessings in my life. The next Buddha I got fell and broke as well. I bought a Buddha lamp and it broke . . . To this day, every single Buddha I have bought has broken or had a chip out of it. I absolutely love that reminder. It has become a running joke in our house. Last year at Christmas Makiah bought me an oil warmer with three buddhas on it. Within days it had broken . . .

My point? Nothing really. Reading his post made me think of my own experience. Made me remember to embrace the experience . . . . good or bad. What looks like a negative can quite simply be something beautiful. So, if you see a cracked Buddha, thank somebody for your blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment